Phase 1: Procedure to respond to the Call for Applications
- Eligibility: The 2014 EUhackathon is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years old. Applicants under the age of 18 will be asked for parental authorisation evidence.
- Deadline for Applications: You must submit your application using the online form by apply before 27 October 2014 noon CET.
- Participants: All eligible individuals can register to and participate in the 2014 EUhackathon, either as an individual participant or team up with other eligible participants. Team entries will require a designated team member taking up the formal role of ‘team captain’, acting as sole representative for all communication.
- Result dissemination: Participants retain their copyright, but need to agree that their projects will be made available online for free to the community under a GPLv3 or Apache v2.0 license – as these licenses/versions have explicit patent releases built in.
- Submission: Interested participants will be asked beforehand to submit a project proposal detailing the main features of their tool, the data to be collected, and the methods envisaged to do so. Participants will be allowed to choose to develop a new application from scratch or to improve and expand on the capabilities of existing open-source code projects available. The participants would be able to register individually or in small teams (3 to 5 people). Participants will be selected on the basis of the right mixture of skills (from development to graphics design).
- Deliverables: Participants are expected to build user-friendly multi-platform tools.
Phase 2: Assessment Criteria for selected developers
The projects will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Their user experience and appeal;
- Their potential to respond to the needs identified;
- Their potential to generate education & awareness raising potential amongst the target audience; and;
- The respect for privacy aspects.
The EUhackathon projects are assessed every year by a jury composed of a mix of engineers, civil society representatives and policy-makers. The names of jury members will be published closer to the date of the event.